<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 01, 2010

An Object at Rest

I have written at length about my distaste towards the moving process.
Nevertheless, unless I get tenure or an equivalently long-term position, it is something of a necessary evil. (One wonders why I even bothered to unpack...)
For example, no matter how much I like my current apartment (which I do), it is somewhat infeasible for me to stay there after my fellowship ends this summer. An hour commute everyday is doable, but not practical.
So today, I'm near campus looking at apartments. The two I'm looking at are about 20 min. away from campus, one to the north and one to the south. The price is about equivalent to the place I have now, but otherwise that's all they have in common. One is an apartment in a large complex, similar to my old place in the Invisible Suburb. The other is a rather isolated condo.
Neither has completely won me over, and unlike my current place, there is no obvious set of deciding criteria. The commutes are almost identical in length, they have similar accoutrements including in-house washing machines, and both are located in quiet areas ideal for a struggling graduate student eager to work on his dissertation.

But as I say, I'm still up in the air on both options and have begun to consider other options.
In short, I hate moving. There's no way to know one has made the right decision about an apartment until it is too late.

More updates on the 2010 Apartment Hunt as events merit.

Comments:
rather! I am soon to be in a similar boat, not to mention my brother (at least you and I don't have to buy and sell houses!)
 
Ugh... I hate moving, too, but I tend to do it just infrequently enough that I forget I hate it until the next time I do it.
Dave... where/why are you moving?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?