<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Snowpocalypse II, Snow Harder

The skies have opened up again and snow has begun to fall upon deserted streets that never had the chance to recover from their last wrestling match with Jack Frost. According to the evening news, in some places around the city the precipitation rate has reached 3 inches an hour and although there may be a lull sometime in the next few hours, things won't be said and done until approximately 10 PM tomorrow night. This is the Big One, the record breaker, pushing the city's snowfall totals to the highest levels they've ever reached in the century or so they've kept records of such things. Personally, I'm glad that I'm here to witness the excitement. After all, if I were still living up near Old Ivy or in the Invisible Suburb, I wouldn't be able to walk to the grocery store or to the movies. I wouldn't get a chance to see the eerie beauty of a crowded metropolis frozen into silence.

Along with every municipal building and public school, my office is closed tomorrow. Originally I was not planning to go into work on my dissertation, because I had jury duty, but the courts are also affected and I would feel bad if I didn't take the opportunity to try to get some work done. So tomorrow morning I will be braving the elements and the 50 mph winds to hike over to the office and try to finish writing about flat panel display research during the 1960s. This plan assumes, of course, that there will be electricity in the building. Should the power go out, I'm going to head home to do some reading...assuming there is electricity here, of course!

And then Thursday, it's another day. Most likely I will end up having to head into court for my jury duty, but who knows? With a storm this serious, there may be another postponement in my future.

Keep thinking warm thoughts, and I'll keep you updated. Whoever you are...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?