<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 21, 2009

Dissertations Don't Take Snow Days

Proving yet again that historians make the worst prognosticators, the school district is closed today. I suppose that even with all of Sunday to clean up the roads, the second largest snowstorm in local history (since recordkeeping began in the 1880s) merits some sort of recognition. Granted, it totally destroys the remainder of the school week, since students will hardly be able to focus during the two days leading up to Christmas Eve, but I'm sure the sheer joy of having a day off will distract most teachers from thinking about such things.

Since the news of the school closure was announced last night, I woke up this morning wondering if my fellowship office would be closed...you know, like the federal government? No such luck. Which is why I am here at 9:15 AM, preparing to read Popular Mechanics articles from the 1950s and 1960s instead of at home. Oh well. Nobody ever claimed graduate school would be glamorous.

To my friends who are teachers, enjoy the day off! And to my fellow grad students...don't let the research drag you down.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?