<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 31, 2009

Living in a World Made of Cardboard

Hey all. The Invisible Ben here in his fabulous new studio apartment, which right now looks more like the warehouse at the end of Raiders than a place where one might live. I suppose its my own fault for having so much damn stuff (mostly books) and not enough patience after my move yesterday to put them away. Still, I'm sure this is a temporary setback.

I'm less certain about some of the other issues associated with my new place. The keys I received for the building's back door, for example, do not work and the odds of maintenance helping me out with that anytime soon do not look great. Perhaps even more frustrating is the realization, all too late, that my apartment building is only a few doors down from a nightclub whose bass beats are audible into the late night hours. Thankfully, it's only the bass and it's not extremely loud...but it is the sort of thing that might divert one's attention from work or sleep or whatever...I think putting a fan on can block out some of it, but I may have to resort to other measures if things get too distracting.

Even more annoying, and I hope this was a one time thing, was waking up at some point last night and realizing that I could not tell what time it was, despite having set up my alarm clock before going to bed. Also, the fan had turned off. Yes, you guessed it, my power went out. Now, I still need to get in touch with the electric company to confirm my billing, and last night when the power went out, I began to get very worried. I shambled over to the doorway, however, and discovered that my apartment was not the only one with no power. Emergency lights had gone on all down the hall. Things turned back on around 5:30 this morning...loudly...smoke detector beeping, fan whirring, clock radio turning on...the works, so I guess my concerns were ultimately much ado about nothing...unless it happens again.

Anyhow, much more to type, including a requiem to my couch, consigned to charitable donation due to a physical lack of space, but I have to get moving. I'm cleaning out my old apartment today. Last time in the Invisible Suburb for a while, I imagine.

Will hopefully not be too exhausted to add more later.

Comments:
Why it sounds as though you have moved to a wonderful Utopia! And if you find yourself actually believing that, I'd suggest the thumping bass has negatively impacted your brain.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?