<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 07, 2007

2 Live Who?

Every Wednesday, I sit in on the undergraduate American history lecture course. I'm taking a generals field with the professor and I figure it's a good way to gauge what he finds most important.
(Ideally I would sit in on Monday's lecture as well, but I have program seminar then.)

This Wednesday's lecture was on culture wars of the 1980s. As is typical from this professor, there was a heavy emphasis on the Supreme Court. (Ah, Judge Bork. Your failure to get appointed robbed us all of Swedish-Chef themed judicial humor.) But, as an unexpected bonus, there were also the following comments regarding the rap music that's been destroying America's morals and warping young minds...

"We start off class today with a song by NWA, a typical Old Ivy standard."
(The song in question? "Express Yourself"---Straight Outta Compton, indeed!)

"How many people here remember 2 Live Crew?"
(A few people raise their hands)
Well, that's too bad. Too bad that you actually remember them.


"2 Live Crew is basically A Tribe Called Quest with Tourette's Syndrome."
(He's right you know. They really are.)

I wonder if my Underwood students were fans of 2 Live Crew. I have a feeling they probably found them too tame for their tastes.

Things are getting hectic around here with the end of the semester, but stay tuned...the annual holiday movie quote contest will be back soon. And this time...it's personal.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?