<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Reflections I Promised...

During the first week of school, I asked all of my students to think for a moment and determine a personal goal for their new science class. The answers were then sealed and filed away until the last week of school. Although student attendance dwindled near the end of the year, those students who were present did receive their responses. Many of them had forgotten what they wrote and opened them up as though they were fragile artifacts from the distant past...which in a way they were! Many students left their papers behind however, or simply were not there to collect them in the first place. Rather than throw them out unread and unacknowledged, I decided to open them up and see what they wrote. Their responses are presented below, uncut and unedited. Were I to do this again, I would probably ask them to reflect whether or not they actually fulfilled the objectives they set for themselves at the start of the year, just like I will sometime down the line.

General Physical Science
September 9, 2005
Goal Setting Activity

Question: Take a few minutes to think of a personal goal for this class, something that you feel is important to you. (You can not use "I want to pass this class." Be more specific!) What is your personal goal. List three things that you plan to do this year to reach your goal.

Student Responses:
1. My goal this year is to get in 10 grade and to do a lots of thing with my life.

2. My personal goal is to get out of this school and move on and to go to colleng and get out of there and be a nires.

3. To help one another if they need help and mess with them.

4. My Goals for this class is
A To Be A A student.
B To Get A, A or B this hold school year.
C One more thing stay on tasks.

5. For this class, I want to accomplish more se more expermint stuff the invole science do different think have in actully expermint. I wnat to become mbetter than what I arlaedy am. Have high standard this year I want to focous and pay altentin an be all that I can Be. That my goals.

6. Not to be so playful like I was last year.
3 things is: 1) is not to talk so much.
2) Do my work.
3) Do not set next to people is going to make me do things.

7. My goal in this class is to find out thing dealing with science I did not know before I came here. Also to get A’s in this class for every marking period.
Thing I will do to achieve my goal:
1. I will listen in class so that I can learn new things.
2. I will do all my assignments in class and homework.
3. A I will study and do all projects.

8. I would like to have good behavior and average over 87% in science and turn in all my homework. The way I will acheive my goal is by listening. I will also stop playing around so much.

9. I want to get a B or A in GPS and play for ‘Wood football team and make them greater. Also learn! And do some fun experiments where I learn something new.

10. I would like to complete a chemistry project we do and get 0 or above in science class. I can work hard and stay on task and focus. I can also pay attention to the chemistry lab stuff.

11. I want to learn as much about science as Mr. ________ can teach me. I would pay attention in class, do all my work, do lots of projects, read up on science, and turn in all my work on time or earlier.

12. I would like to score over 85% in science class. I can do all my projects, homework, classwork, an do nows. I well complete evem assignment.

13. My personal goal in science class is to do all of my work properly and pass near the top of my class. One way I can do this is by studying hard, completing all of my assignemtns, and taking my time and not rush through the work.

14. The thing that’s important to me is to do all of my assiments. My goal is to do all of my homework and always do right on my test.

15. My goal for science class is to score at least a 80% average. I will achieve this goal by: #1 Turning in all of my assignemnts. 2. I will also make an effort to score high on all my exams.

16. I would like to earn no lower than a C but would like to have a B. Not playing in class and do all my work.

17. I would successful do what I can to earn a 80% or higher average to pass this class.
1. Focus in class right.
2. If I need more time see him after school.

18. I will like to earn exleast 80% or higher in science class & I”ll like to pass to 9th grade & go to tenth. Then after high school, go to college & get a good education.

19. Goal- My goal for Mr. ________ class and I would like to get more involved with science so that i can get higher scores on my do nows and test grades.

2 ways I can go about getting them is by studing hard and coming ready to learn to strive for nothing less then the best. Sept. 2005

20. My goal is to ask as many questions as I can so I can learn more about science because I don’t know much. My goal is also to reach a stander of A’s + B’s. The way I going to this is pay attenchien in class and work hard and do a lot of reasech.

21. I want to lean about the weather, and learn about all different types of chiemical reactions. I will!!! get over a B grade in this class. How: I will!!! complete evry assingmest assinged to me.

22. My gole is to get and mantain a 3.0 grade point aveige. I whant to find out how to chimty.
yo what’s up Dee I just whant you to do your best alright.

23. I would like to compleat science with a B or higher also I want to learn as much as possible.

24. My goal in this class is two be able to understand what I am doing. It is to be able to know science very well. I would reach that goal by: listening, paying attention and answering questions.
I’m pasting the 9th grade.

25. To have a “C” or above in math.
1. Study harder.
2. Pay more attention.
3. Do more homework.

26. I goal that is important to me about this class is to learn more about science and why things work the way the work.
1. Pay attention in class.
2. Do all my homework.
3. Do all my school work.
Fi-Fi HOLLA BACK. P.S. I know your reading this.

27. I want to get a A or a B because I am weak in science. My personal goal is to get to college.

28. I would like to set a goal for this class that I get a B. I know I cant get a A but a B I think I cant. I plan to do all my homework, learn as much as I can, and get good test greads.

29. A personal goal for this class is to do everything you are told to do and listen and follow directions so you can past but not only so you can use this information in the past. My personal goal is to be a professional hip-pop dancer and/or a fashion designer. The 3 things I have to do is to:
1. Keep my grads up.
2. Stay out of trouble.
3. Work my hardest to be the best I can be.

30. Goals for this class is to move up not only in this class but in life I will:
work hard
listen
correct mistake from recent years

31. I want to be able to pass but also truly learn something from this class. Try to perfect my art. Second study. Third get my education first.

32. My personal goal for this year is:
1. to be able to get a lot out of science.
2. to be able to pass with an A and say I’ve earn this A.
3. to be able to say next year that Mr. ______ class is the best.

1. By that I mean pay attention.
2. By that I mean do all my homework+listen +be respectful.
3. Be friendly with teacher I have for 8 months.

33. To complete all assighnment and to listen and to learn enw things. My personal goal is to be succfull in life.
1. Being healthy.
2. Passing school.
3. High paying job.

34. My personal goal for this class is to do my best make good grades and make my mom proud of me and my hard work.

35. The goal I’ve set for physical science is to learn all I need to know about science, also so I can be able to not only pass all my test, but also to be able to answer all scientific questions that may come along in life. The 3 plans I plan to do to help reach my goal is to pay close attention, read all books and directions, and to write plenty of notes.

36. In this class I want to: pass and get all A’s so that I can get out of here. Also I want to learn every I can, so this calss will help me get to the next grade. So this means I want to:
Get an A
learn what I can
know a lot about GPS.

37. My personal goal for this class is to get an A on everything I do so I can get a better grade then last year.
1. Pay attention
2. Take notes and study.
3. Do all assignments.

38. 1. Don’t get into trouble.
2. Get A’s or B’s in this class.
3. Turn in all my homework.

39. 1. Go to the 10 grade.
2. Get good grades
3. To be good.

40. I can do all of the work. I can come to class on time. Give other respect if you want respect back.

41. I want to learn more about science and pass it. I want to be nice to my teacher and not mean.

42. I believe that this class can get a goal if they try hard. I will like to play ball in here.

43. My personal goal is to do better in physical science. Try to be an A student and have good grades be the best I can and respect my teacher.

44. I think the goal this class should have is to make it to 12 grade with all good grade and for the try not to make and babies and do make the babies.

45. *List*
1. Read more.
2. Make efforts
3. Ask question.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?