<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Damn you, Jack Bauer!

One of my major goals this summer has been to teach myself French, at least to the point where I can read texts with the aid of a dictionary. This is the required level of foreign language proficiency at my new graduate program, so I've been trying to spend at least a few hours everyday working on it. Typically I'll go to either the bookstore or the library to work, the only downside being that after I finish a chapter in my workbook I frequently feel tempted to look at all the nice DVDs, CDs, and books they have for sale/checkout.

It was on one of these trips that I discovered the first season of 24, on DVD, available for free perusal. And I thought to myself, it's summer! People have told me this is a good show! I'll try watching it. What's the worst that could happen?

Well I will tell you right now, people. The ordinary viewer was not meant to watch a full season of 24 in the library's prescribed DVD turnaround time of one week. A show, playing out in real time, and meant to take 17 hours to watch is not healthy for the human brain to digest over such a short period. The senses can not handle that many plot twists, double crosses, and back stabs. I would never think to buy it, but 24 has proven itself to be among the most addictive and compelling programs on the market right now. It's the visual equivalent of crack cocaine. And the library is just lending it out...for free! It's insidious!

I've now watched two seasons of this show. They have two more at the library. It's not safe for me to go there anymore. They have two more seasons on DVD available for me to borrow. Two more seasons of political intrigue, intense gunplay, and Kiefer Sutherland yelling at people to "drop the weapon, now!" Damn you, Jack Bauer! My hopes of having a productive summer may be at an end...

Or are they?

(cut to digital timer ominously ticking away seconds)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?