<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 07, 2006

The Coolest Patriotic Poem Ever

Ok, so this is slightly delayed, but there's a reason for it. The 4th of July has always been one of my favorite federally mandated observances. I like that it's the first holiday after the traditional end of the school year in June. I like American history and America in general, despite all of the things that have gone wrong in this country's name or on this country's watch. I like barbeque. I like fireworks. I like that the fanfare to Star Wars is officially classified as patriotic music.

And in cities across the country, there are concerts and parades and other such things. For most of the day on the 4th, I was attending a party downtown with a view of that evening's fireworks/concert event. Seeing a lot of good friends was nice, and I learned how to play a new game that apparently has taken southwestern Ohio by storm, but otherwise let's just say the musical act didn't leave me dancing on the ceiling. (And I could have seen 70s super group Foreigner instead...I suppose everything is 20-20 when you have DOUBLE VISION!)

Anyhow, later on in the week I was reading about the Revolution some on Wikipedia and stumbled upon the following patriotic poem. I'm a big fan. It's a full 14 line sonnet, but each line is an anagram of its title! And it still maintains its rhyme scheme!

So here it is. Consider it the official kickoff to the blogging summer season where postings are not limited to the world of teaching!

Washington Crossing the Delaware
by David Schulman

A hard, howling, tossing water scene.
Strong tide was washing hero clean.
"How cold!" Weather stings as in anger.
O Silent night shows war ace danger!

The cold waters swashing on in rage.
Redcoats warn slow his hint engage.
When star general's action wish'd "Go!"
He saw his ragged continentals row.

Ah, he stands - sailor crew went going.
And so this general watches rowing.
He hastens - winter again grows cold.
A wet crew gain Hessian stronghold.

George can't lose war with's hand in;
He's astern - so go alight, crew, and win!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?