<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 28, 2005

A man with a plastic rectangle...

In an unexpected sequence of events, Fibonacci Day had an unfortunate ending. Despite the Invisible Dad's successful identification of several archaic pieces of scientific equipment locked in my classroom cabinets and subsequent dinner with both him and the Invisible Sister at my favorite gastropub in town, it was time to return to my stately penthouse. And what better way to celebrate the incumbent long weekend than by installing a new version of Xandros Linux on my computer? Dad swore it would take only a few minutes and there would be no problems. When will either of us learn? Better is the enemy of good.

The long and short of it? My Linux partition slowly began to devour the rest of the hard drive. We soon discovered it was the result of a combination of bad sectors and a faulty power supply. We reformatted the hard drive after salvaging the majority of the information it contained. (My old test backups were among the missing data...) After sending it back on warranty, it was time to buy a new hard drive. Bye-bye 40 GB hard drive...hello 120 GB hard drive!

But when it seemed like the data might be recovered, I also received an early holiday present. You've probably already guessed what it is, but in case you didn't...I'm typing this entry on it.

Yup...I finally got me a top of the line laptop: DVD, CD-RW, wireless, the works. Even got the Windows XP that everyone's been talking about. (Not sure what to think of that last one just yet.) But I do enjoy typing up blog entries from my easy chair while listening to a new Billy Joel CD (courtesy of the Invisible Mom). And now thanks to my grandmother, I've got enough turkey and stuffing to last a few weeks.

New computers and Thanksgiving leftovers: a wonderful combination if ever there were one.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?