<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 23, 2005

End of School Year Wrapup

It's been one week since the end of school and unlike last year when I felt excited and unencumbered, this first week of summer has been one of steady realization that my obligations continue to pile even if I don't have to go into school for another two and a half months. It was in fact a combination of these obligations resulted in the delay in my long promised post summarizing thoughts and feelings on the end of the school year. Because let's face it...a haiku, even one referencing classic Irish literature, just doesn't cut it. So now I return to pick up the Invisible Pen [TM] and slam out some ruminations on the conclusion of my second year at Underwood High School.


1. Graduation
In contrast to last year, I attended Underwood’s graduation ceremony this year despite never having taught a single member of the graduating senior class. Part of this was an attempt to maintain at least the illusion of solidarity with my school's faculty. A larger part was that attendance counted as paid professional development, and (as was discovered later by a few of my colleagues), failure to attend would result in docked pay. The ceremony itself was relatively unremarkable, and thankfully was held in the same air conditioned gymnasium as the year before. The principal had made a point of getting everything started on time at 2 PM sharp, but due to constant cheering, shout-outs, and rounds of applause, things didn’t actually begin properly until 2:40 or so. As I said, a generally unremarkable affair on the whole, with the standard speeches by valedictorian, salutatorian, and the rest. We even had the requisite audio-visual trouble during one student’s reminiscence of a trip he and some classmates took to South Africa.

Perhaps the most interesting thing was that during the course of the ceremony, the administrative team took the time to read off the names of all students who had scored proficient or advanced in each section (reading, writing, and mathematics) of the major statewide test. While I recognize that the importance of celebrating student success, I was rather disheartened when only 4 of the 325 graduating seniors were deemed proficient or advanced in mathematics. For those keeping score at home, that’s slightly over 1% proficient or advanced in math! Interestingly, this figure does not match up with the official NCLB report card passed out approximately a week before which recorded 4.4% of the student body (approximately 15 students) as proficient or advanced, as compared to the district wide proficiency rate of 28.6%. Lest you feel disheartened, be glad to note that the year before, the school only had 2% of its students marked as proficient or advanced. We doubled our numbers between last year’s graduating class and this one. If only our reading scores had jumped as highly, we only went from 11.7 to 13% in that category.

I applauded the graduates along with the rest of my colleagues, but I seriously wonder about their readiness to face the real world given such deficiencies in their reading and math abilities. What kind of a future will they have when basic concepts like percentages continue to elude them? It’s a good thing none of them plan to use credit cards or open a savings account...or not.

2. My new job(s)
As some of you may remember, I got recruited for this through a non-profit organization. Well, after this school year, I am no longer officially affiliated with that group, and should now be addressed (with all pomp and respect) as an alumnus. My colleagues and I even had an end of year “graduation” ceremony of our own at a local art museum, complete with diplomas certifying that we had survived two years in the classroom.

Now why have I not gone public with this organization’s name? Partly because those of you who know who I am outside the realm of the blogosphere already know the answer to that question and those few of you who don’t can probably figure it out. But more importantly because I’m still working for them.

Yep. Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in. They needed someone who had content expertise teaching high school science...and since all the other science teachers had pretty much committed to doing other things than teach next year, I was the only man for the job. That, along with the fact that I have in my time taught students chemistry, geology, astronomy, and environmental science in addition to my certification area (physics), made it at least appear that I knew what I was talking about. We shall see how right or wrong they were come fall.

Oh, and for those who were wondering, why YES I am teaching chemistry next year. No, I don’t know much about it, but Yes I will be studying it this summer.

Now does anyone have any ideas for what an Ivy league graduate with history credentials and 2 years of science teaching under his belt can do when he grows up? All ideas appreciated.

3. Father’s Day
In a rare fit of spontaneity, I decided on Saturday night that it would be fun to pop home and surprise my family in honor of Father’s Day. The Invisible Mom had been subtly hinting that I should come home more often, and with the Invisible Sister bound for Spain in a matter of weeks, it would be difficult to see everybody before August when things got more hectic. So, despite sleeping through the alarms on Sunday morning, I was able to get fully packed and in the Invisible Ben-mobile by 7:30, making it north to the old homestead by around noon. The Invisible Dad had just opened his present (an authentic Zeppo Marx autograph), but was still glad I could make it up to see him. (And to get the Ben-mobile’s emissions tested...and get a new driver’s license...and the tasty pies didn't hurt either!)

Things have changed. Obviously, time has a way of doing that, but this time it was more noticeable. Two years (basically) away from home, and everything seems a little strange. Even inside the house...for it was on this trip that I got to meet my family’s new dog–Krimpet. Krimpet is a labradoodle: part labrador and part doodle..and at 17.5 lbs, is a giant bundle of adorable just waiting to piss on your floor and chew up your sofa. Krimpet immediately took a liking to my shoelaces. Not to me. She nipped me once or twice. But my shoelaces, those she loved. My parents have jokingly referred to Krimpet as my new sister, which made me wonder whose side of the family she really took after. Also realized as I watched them pin her to the ground after growling one time too often that I’m glad I was not reincarnated as a puppy.

I had a chance to visit my old high school, where renovations are finally being completed on its physical structure. Gone is the old courtyard where we would play ultimate frisbee. In its place, a whole new wing. The main office has been pushed to the front, right next to the doors. The old trophy case has mostly been emptied out, although some of the old college bowl/engineering competition/math league trophies are still there from the long ago times when giants walked the halls.

The changes were not merely superficial. Chatted with my favorite semi-immortal English teacher and learned that they were restructuring the curriculum. World Civilization–previously a two year course is being abridged to 1.5 years to allow for greater coverage of American history. Wave goodbye to British literature, it’s getting eaten up from within by contemporary American fiction. Oh, and let’s not even get into issues of grading. There was word going around of a requirement making teachers give out 25% A grades. “Fat chance!” my teaching colleague replied, but we’ll see how long her resistance can hold out in the face of educational reforms. Even my beloved alma mater is adopting a mission statement, complete with “principles of teaching and learning” and “core beliefs.”

I’m betting Underwood’s Mission Statement (when published) will be nearly identical to this one:

___________ High School, in striving for academic excellence, seeks to provide a comprehensive education that engages all students in meaningful learning and develops the intellectual, creative, social, emotional, technological, and physical skills necessary to prepare them for the next phase in their lives.

This I fear is part of a trend, encouraged by the passage of No Child Left Behind, to attempt to fix schools even when they are not necessarily broken. For example, why is a school with an excellent academic record: strong test scores, high college admission percentages, etc. implementing small learning communities when no such need has previously been shown to exist? Whatever happened to if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? I seriously worry about being swept up by fads like this, even if they are presented as the latest trend in educational reform by all the journals.

Other changes? Well they put up a new shopping center down the road with a Baja Fresh, a gigantic Barnes and Noble, and an Old Navy...so I guess the region’s getting more and more suburban by the second. There’s no reason even to go over the mountain to the larger malls anymore. Oh, and there are a few new restaurants and such. A Coldstone creamery near the movie theater. Bickfords is finally out...Puerto Vallarta is in. (Ole!)

Perhaps the biggest change is that most of the old guard is gone. I got to spend time with the Snood Warrior (check out his blog on the right) and a few others, but that was basically it. It’s a different thing to go home. I knew it would happen...I just hoped it wouldn’t.

4. In other news...
1. Firefly lives up to much of the hype. I watched the whole series in under 24 hours and was shocked to find no particularly bad episodes. I'm adding it to the list of shows cancelled too early along with The Critic, Legend, Crusade. On the plus side, I'm now definitely looking forward to Serenity.
2. Batman Begins also lives up to the hype. They need a good soundtrack for a superhero movie one of these days though...
3. David McCullough’s 1776...I was not aware of any hype, but if such hype existed, this book would definitely meet or beat it. I listened to the whole book on CD while driving back and forth. Made those waits to get over the Hudson River almost bearable.
4. Gundam Wing: Still cool. Still completely incomprehensible to anyone who has not watched all the episodes back to back to back.
5. Red Raspberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Tasty. Very Tasty.

Well that’s all for now. Tomorrow I go hiking on the Appalachian Trail to pick some blueberries. Should be fun. A pity I don't have my old hiking boots handy...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?