<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

A Day's Work

This is an old story, and I'm not sure I've related it to anyone, but it seems worthy of comment, and so here it is.

This was from a few weeks ago, the day of the egg drop. I went into Rite-Aid to purchase some last minute supplies and, it being a busy day, was in an obvious hurry to get to school and get things set up. The woman behind the counter had likely been there since 5 or 6 in the morning and could care less about this crazy guy in the tie who comes in at 6:55 asking for Cadbury cream eggs and masking tape.

As I reach to pay her the money she comments that my hands are so smooth "I must never have done a day's work in my life."

I was a little shocked at this statement, loaded as it was with subtext at such an early time of morning. It all fed into my earlier concerns about my job not being respected as a profession. But I just muttered in response that "I teach high school students," and went on my way.

Part of me wonders if she felt guilty after I left. And another part wonders...should I feel guilty for wanting her to feel that way.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?