<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 21, 2005

Special Presidents' Day Top 10: Egg Drop Quotes

10 fun quotes taken verbatim from student papers describing their egg drop projects:

10. Also I created inertia in the inside of the box to keep the egg in an inert position to contain the momentum for the in keep it from rolling around in the container.

Wait...you created inertia? To keep the egg in an inert position? Ok...I follow that, but how do you contain momentum? You think you can CONTAIN momentum? No way man... you can't contain momentum!
(Though I hear in Soviet Russia, momentum can contain YOU!)

9. Objective: To drop an egg from 18 ft. away from the gound in a container of your choice filled with bubblewrap, cotton, balloons and also with a rubber cuttingboard at the bottom of the contatainer.

Sadly this group's contatainer did not protect the egg from breaking when it hit the gound.

8. There is no drag acting ont he container because there is no way air resistance can occur, there are no wings, air can't get caught between the container.

Just to clarify...there may be no NOTICABLE drag. But there is drag.

7. Thanks to the recent laws we learned about it science class...

Yeah, I remember the dark days...before we had gravity. Good thing they passed that law a few years back.

6. (same paper as 7, cont.) Thanks to what we learned about gravity, mass, and acceleration, I knew that the heavier the object, the fastest it falls...

Somewhere in Italy, Galileo Galilei is spinning in his grave.

5. To past this project, you have to know momentum and volicity. Because without you can't do this project.

No argument from me there, folks.

4. What I mean by this is that the contrpation we made does not way a lot and will not cause it to fall at a great speed...The asseveration should not be great because of the weight and time it has to hit the ground.

Bad spelling and grammar + bad physics = hilarity

3. (Same paper as 4, cont.) I believe that the project we made will be perfect; I have known worries at all.

I have known worries that you can use a semicolon correctly. This sentence has now completely dispelled them.

2. Momentum ahs a lot to do with this project. the reason I say this is because the mass of my packing crate increase when I added water to it; therefore its velocity increased. There are other forces involved in this project like: gravety, air resistance, potinal energy, kinetic energy, and free fall. all these forces and friction help keep our from creaking.

a. Increasing mass does not increase its velocity upon being dropped.
b. Energy is not a force. Forces are not energy. With the possible of exception of The Force (from Star Wars) described by one Jedi Master as " an energy field created by all living things."
c. I think I should just buy my students personal dictionaries. They'd lose them, but at least they might learn
how to spell words like "potential" and "gravity" before then.


And the number one favorite quote from my day of grading egg drop projects...

(Warning-do not gaze directly at quote for more than 5 seconds at a time)

1. THIS PROJECT RELATE TO WHAT WE DID IN OUR G.S.P. BECAUSE WE WERE TORT THAT IF AND OBJECT IS DROPPED FROM AN WINDOW OR SOMEWHERE CAN DETERMINE IT'S SPEED AND IT'S VELOCITY AND HOW LONG IT TAKE TO HIT THE GROUND YOU CAN ALSO FIND ONE HOW FAST IT ACCELERATE. MR. ___________ ALSO TORT US WHAT MOMENT IS AND THE BIGGER YOU ARE THE MORE MASS YOU HAVE AND THE MOMENT COME WITH YOU.

Sometimes, I joke in my more cynical moments that my students are so unprepared academically for the ninth grade that they can't even spell the name of my class: G.P.S. (General Physical Science). In this case, my
students actually exceeded my hyperbole! How many errors, both grammatical and scientific, can you find in those 2 sentences?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?