<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Cleaning Out the Curiosity Pile #3: "If I was president..."

The final entry in this series of posts dates back to right before the November elections. Unlike some schools, Underwood happened to be open for Election Day proper and in honor of the occasion I attempted to give my students some background into the democratic process by teaching them about polling. In actuality, this was yet another cunning attempt on my part to slip some new scientific knowledge into their brains since polling (a.k.a. sampling) is a crucial part of the research process. As mentioned in a November post, the lesson proved less than effective...I never even got to do my simulated phone poll! However, there was one upside...this paper written by one of my more dedicated students about how she would run the country if she were commander in chief. Where the other two entries from the Curiosity Pile were disillusioning or disheartening, this one is rather inspirational:
Very nice, huh? Almost makes me wish she were running the country instead of whats-his-name... Wonder which party she'd fit into better... Bush, et. al. would likely claim that between No Child Left Behind and the war on terror, they were doing a good job on keeping America safe and making education better, but I don't know how well his platform would fit with the "make peace with other countries" or "lower gas pollution".

Anyhow, that's all for the curiosity pile. Stay tuned for the results of the movie quote contest, New Year's resolutions, and some new additions to the Invisible Blogroll!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?