<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Whistling in the Dark

This evening as I was grading papers around 11 PM, the power went out. Since I now live in a relatively large apartment building this was, needless to say, rather unexpected. But, peeping out into the hallway, it was clear that something was amiss. Emergency lighting was on, and the elevator was not. From the perspective of a resident of the 18th floor, this was inconvenient to say the least! I fumbled in the dark for a pair of shoes and my keys and hiked down the emergency stairways to the lobby to see what was going on. Turns out a transformer blew and the whole block had lost power.

Just perfect, right? Well, now I couldn't get any work done, I figured I would go to bed. (Perhaps a divine omen?) No sooner had I finally nestled into bed with my backup battery powered alarm clock at the ready when, BAM, lights go on. Computer goes on. And that's where we are right now...with me eating a snack, resetting my blinking clocks, and then going to bed.

Although this reminds me...I really should make sure my electricity bill is paid before the weekend!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?