<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Graduation

The ceremony was held today in a gymnasium about a mile from my house, filled with awards and memorabilia from the local college basketball team. Although I went to Underwood this morning, in the back of my mind, I knew that there would be no actual teaching, and that on the whole, I would see none of my current students again until next year. Graduation started at noon, and I had only one period before then. They spent their time walking the halls, showing up late, and playing board games. (Though I did impress a few students by introducing them to the magic of midi files!)

At around 10:30, I drove home, ate a quick lunch (roast beef and swiss on sourdough onion bread), and proceeded to walk to the ceremony. Despite the administrators' robes not getting cleaned and a lack of diploma covers, the ceremony went fine on the whole. Two of my former students, the valedictorian and saludatorian respectively, gave speeches, and the principal went out of her way to emphasize the many positive things to come out of this year: the mock trial team's state championship, the senior gift (banners surrounding the school), etc.

The seniors were excited and proud. I watched my former physics students cheer, proudly sing the school's alma mater ("Hail to thee Underwood High..."), and wave to family members after taking their diplomas from the principal and walking off stage. I hope that they didn't mind that the lack of diploma covers meant they received orange pieces of paper rolled lengthwise and tied with a black ribbon. As one of the people who did the tying, I can assure you they were made of quality materials, but somehow if I received something similar during my graduation, I think I would be rather disappointed.

In her address, my principal quoted her hero Nelson Mandela. The quote stuck in my mind for some reason, so I include it below.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

I haven't the heart to tell her that a quick Internet search suggests that the true author of the above is NOT Nelson Mandela, but author
Marainne Williamson. Perhaps she will search it out on her own.


By the way, those of you keeping track might be interested to know that today marked a graduation of sorts for me as well. In addition to being the first such ceremony I attended as an Underwood high school faculty member, this was my final day in the classroom with students during the school year! All that separates me from my summer vacation is two more days of professional development. But with no students in the building, how hard can that be?

In any case:

Congratulations to all graduates: college, high school, or otherwise on your transition to the next stage.


And congratulations fellow teachers, for your role in that process!

Congratulations everyone...we made it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?