<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

A Matter of Taste

Learning theorists and people of that sort like to talk about these things called learning modalities. Basically the idea is people tend to have particular strengths in their learning styles...some are more visual, some learn through hands-on activities, etc. Visual, audio, kinesthetic, these are all well known.

Yet for some reason, none of the books and articles I've encountered ont his subject, I've never seen anything about the one modality I consider the most effective.

After all, years from now, my students will have forgotten what an emulsion is...but I'll bet nearly all of them remember making butter with me using (in their words) "marbles and milk."***

Taste based learning: It's the wave of the future!


***(Easy recipe for homemade butter---take 1 cup heavy cream, seal in a jar with a clean marble. Shake until you can no longer hear the marble in the jar. Salt to taste. Freeze until desired texture is achieved. Serve on bread to hungry students. Yum!)

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?