<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, March 20, 2004

Watch out Jim Calhoun...
The past two weeks, Underwood High School had hosted its own unique version of March Madness in the form of an intramural basketball tournament between the 16 freshman homerooms. The idea was conceived by the administration as a way to get students to show up on time, and I have to say...it worked. The freshman class had never been more excited than while discussing this event.

Since I happen to have my very own freshman homeroom, this meant that I had been thrust into the role of "coach." Not that the job was really necessary or required. My homeroom students, regardless of any problems some of them might have conforming to my comparatively conservative position on appropriate classroom behavior, are excellent basketball players. My job, as I saw it, was to show up, offer encouragement, and provide much needed early morning sustenance in the form of Tastykakes (or their cousins, Tastydonuts). People may have chuckled at first at my pastry bearing ways, but by the end it was clear (in the words of another teacher) that "that white boy really had his team together."

I can't claim any real credit for it. Although I will note that my tactics, even if they never helped, certainly never hurt my players' chances. Because last Wednesday, about a dozen of my students showed up and dominated the opposition in the championship match, with a score of 36-12. It was beautiful.

I can only hope that the strong sense of camaraderie that has developed among my homeroom will last beyond the tournament and the inevitable game against the faculty.

Now my students have been asking the million dollar question: Will I be participating in the student-faculty matchup?

I haven't decided yet, so if you have thoughts on the subject feel free to send them along.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?