<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Some days the only thing
That gets me out the door is the commentator I know will be speaking at 6:45 on NPR. For example, I'm not much of a sports fan. If asked, I can provide a minor array of crucial sports facts. You know...who are the key players on teams I claim to support, the names of stadiums, the fundamental suckiness of the New York Yankees, etc. But more than that? Nope.

Which is why I was so surprised to find how much I enjoy Frank Deford's Wednesday radio commentary. Maybe it's the diverse range of sports covered (I particularly liked a eulogy Mr. Deford wrote for the first woman to swim the English channel.), or perhaps it's each commentary's unique mixture of humor and trivia. Maybe it's mix of sarcasm and idealism that I find appealing. Or maybe...just maybe it's the inherent sense of nostalgia, because he records his comments from WSHU in beautiful Fairfield, CT. (Yet one more thing for Constitution state natives to be proud of!)

Anyhow, as I stare into the depths of another long Wednesday...there is very little pulling me to my car more quickly than my curiosity about the subject of this week's commentary.

So many backlogged tales of the new class.

Maybe this weekend I'll have time to share some of them.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?