<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 31, 2003

They Know Where You Live

So I got back from a quick trip home and my cupboard was bare so I go down to the store to pick up some supplies. The self-proclaimed "Mayor" of my street, a local character who seems to have popped out of a '70s sitcom catches me getting out of my car and offers to help carry the groceries into my apartment. Very neighborly of him even if he still was expecting a few bucks in return, especially considering how hard it is to carry a bag of potatoes when your hands are full.

I give him the money, close the door and start bringing the stuff inside when he yells to me from outside. I open the door and he explains that someone from Underwood (the school where I teach) is outside and recognized me.

Two thoughts went through my mind at that point:

1. Who was it? Was it one of my freshmen? What if it was one of the misbehaved, mischeivous, disrespectful ones? Was it one of my seniors? Maybe it was someone nice...I do have a few darn good students! I'll admit that at this point I was dreading the former option though.

2. CRAP! This is in fact a paraphrase of a far more profane set of comments. You see, I've taken pains not to let my students know where I live. I just give all sorts of generic answers to their questions and hope that they'll move on. This chance discovery could undermine that entirely. Especially if he was in my class.


So, one deep breath later, I open the door, and discover it's no one I know... (Phew!) But, he tells me he recognizes me. So...where do I stand now? I count myself fortunate it's not one of my students...but as soon as the door of my apartment is closed, I start cursing. (I wonder if they heard me outside...not particularly likely.) I'm not sure why I was so frustrated...is it really so bad if my students know where I live?

Honestly for the majority of them, I doubt it would make a difference, but I think part of it is that there are a minority of students who might try to pull a prank or even wish me harm and I really would strongly prefer they not know where I live.

I hope that makes sense.

More on the past weekend shortly.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?