<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

An old holiday tradition
Following hot on the heels of my ROTK post, it's the return of a classic holiday tradition from my youth. When I worked as a bookseller in high school, one of my managers always used to circulate a list of movie quotes among the staff. He offered a prize for the person who correctly identified the source films. As we worked retail during this most exhausting of seasons, we would occupy our time trying to figure out who thought "k-k-k-ken was going to k-k-k-kill" him or what those "five little things of a common sort" could all be found in a tennis court. It kept us slightly more sane.

Now that I've been teaching for a little while, I thought that burst of sanity would be calmly refreshing, not just to me, but to others. And so, I present my own (hastily composed) movie quote contest. 50 quotes. 50 movies. Identify as many cinematic sources as you can to win! It's fun!

Ready? Ok...here we go:


Identify the source of these quotes

1. “On my signal...unleash Hell!”

2. “And look there is no pain...no pain...no pain...no pain...”

3. “Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Switzerland...he was thrown out of a lot of schools.”

4. “I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought, I’d rather dance with the cows until you came home.”

5. “True love is the greatest thing, in the world-except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is lean and the tomato is ripe...they’re so perky. I love that!”

6. “I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.”

7. “This deal just keeps getting worse all the time.”

8. “What do you want, Mary? Do you want the moon? If you want it, I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down for you. Hey! That's a pretty good idea! I'll give you the moon, Mary.”

9. “Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.”

10. “Now...where was I?”

11. “This must be the place where they empty all the old hourglasses.”

12. “I'm telling you this guy is protected from up on high by the Prince of Darkness.”

13. “I'm not hurt at all. Didn't you know? They can only kill me with a golden bullet.”

14. “It's MY HEAD, Schwartz. It's MY head!”

15. “Layers! Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.”

16. “No such thing a bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.”

17. “I'm sure there have been amazing technological advances in the industry, but surely you must have some sort of training program. It seems unfair to presume I won't be able to learn.”

18. “You Americans are all the same...always overdressing for the wrong occasions.”

19. “How do you know he didn’t invent it?”

20. “I’m tellin’ you Animal, these Nazis ain’t kosher.”

21. “He won the science fair in eighth grade by turning his mom's vibrator into a CD player using some chicken wire and shit.”

22. “You know, I've met some dumb blondes in my life, but you take the taco, pal! Only a Carpathian would come back to life now and choose New York!”

23. “She was beautiful! She was young! She was innocent! She was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had 'em all over the world!”

24. “Geology is the study of pressure and time. That’s all it takes really... pressure... and time... That, and a big goddamn poster.”

25. “We are number 1...all others are number 2 or lower!”

26. “Hey...wha' happened?”

27. “That's the next strange thing. I mean, I can't just call him up. Instead, he contacts me every day through a bird.

28. “Shop smart...shop S-Mart!”

29. “That's a very expensive glass of Chardonnay you're NOT drinking there. It isn't poisoned.”

30. “Cubs win World Series against Miami?!?”

31. “Somebody's coming up. Somebodyserious.”

32. “I love you, Pumpkin.”
“I love you, Honey Bunny.”

33. “I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk.”

34. “You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?”

35. “Nobody throws me my own guns and says run. Nobody."

36. “You and I are such similar creatures Vivian. We both screw people for money.”

37. “It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.”

38. “In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”

39. “I have the motive which is money and the body which is dead!”

40. “We were like peas and carrots, Jenny and I.”

41. “I wonder how such a degenerated person ever reached a position of authority in the Army Medical Corps!”
“He was drafted.”

42. “Be careful what you look for Taylor, you may not like what you find.”

43. “You wanna know how you do it? Here's how, they pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send on of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way.”

44. “We will now read from the gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke...and DUCK!!!”

45. “You are a sad, strange, little man. You have my pity. Farewell.”

46. “We are all victims of causality. I drank too much wine, I must take a piss. Cause and effect.”

47. “Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.”

48. “By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you husband and wife. Proceed with the execution.”

49. “Pearl Harbor?!? Who’s she?”

50. “Well...there it is.”

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?