<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 04, 2003

Good idea...Bad idea.

And now it's time for Good Idea...Bad Idea. :

Good idea: Giving my students the chance to build molecules with toothpicks and gumdrops.

Bad idea: Giving my students access to small objects they can use as projectiles.

Good idea: Giving my students a poster project.

Bad idea: Asking them to actually take notes showing where they got their information. This idea is so anathema to them that I figure about 75% just won't do it.

Good idea: Allowing my students in physics class to go to the bathroom using a bathroom pass rather than interrupting the instruction.

Bad idea: Inadvertently permitting abuse of the system as seniors tend to make covert trips to the counselor's office during my class. Even after dealing with this, one girl had the gall yesterday to just walk out of my class with the pass for most of a class?
Actual exchange: Me: Where were you?
Student: Upstairs.
Me: For an hour?
Student: Yep. (walks out)

Good idea: Teaching science to seniors.
Bad idea: The school's letting them know that they don't need to pass my class to graduate.


Well that's it for now...Tune in again for another edition of Good Idea...Bad Idea!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?